Saturday, November 29, 2008

Bruce Thomas

Bruce Thomas, late of Elvis Costello's band, The Attractions, is one of my all-time favorite players. His work on the albums This Year's Model, Armed Forces, and Get Happy!!, in particular, is just spectacular. Drop the needle anywhere -- Bruce is doing something that will blow your mind. Frankly, I'd be hard-pressed to name a stronger band than The Attractions during their late-70s/early-80s peak. Just listen to Elvis' Attractions-free debut record, My Aim Is True, to hear how essential Steve, Bruce and Pete were to his sound.

There's nothing particularly flashy on this song, it's just one of my favorites -- I particularly love his playing in the bridge:

Accidents Will Happen

My old band did a cover version of this one -- what a great part!:

Lip Service

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

His playing throughout the entire "Imperial Bedroom" album is mindblowing. Strange, and downright wrong, wouldn't you say, that Elvis has retroactively declared that with Bruce in the band, "they didn't swing"? As if Bruce was doing nothing but self-indulgent, ornate little "notice me! decorating jobs?

The Attractions were fierce and without equal. Has Bruce done anything since? Will he ever?